Did you know?
- 1 in 11 women die in childbirth
- Almost 90% are completely illiterate
- 70 – 80% of girls are forced into marriages.
Added to all this, there is female genital mutilation which is after all unnecessary.
The Congo comes in second mainly because the figures for sexual violence are so high. A country with a shockingly long list of human rights violations, the
- About 1 150 women are raped EVERY DAY
- 57% of women are anaemic.
According to the Human Rights Commission more than a 1000 women and girls are victims of “honour killings” – which are committed by their families – per year.
This is doubly depressing seeing that
- 100 million (mostly women and children) are victims of human trafficking.
- Over 50 million girls are missing due to female infanticide.
- Almost half of the female population are married before 18.
This country has been ravaged by civil war and lack of government for many years now. It ranks as the fifth most dangerous country for females because of factors such as:
- Female Genital Mutilation usually practiced on girls between 4 and 11
- High maternity death rate as only 9% of women give birth in hospitals
- Child marriage
And with only 7.5% parliament seats being held by women conditions are unlikely to improve.
Let’s all work together and put an end to violence against women and girls.
Say No to Female Genital Mutilation and any violence against women.