Thursday 17 May 2012

Violence Against Women

Welcome Back

I am touching on sensitive ground because some of my friends would conclude that I am a feminist. The reason I chose the above heading is because it's relavant to what I am going to talk about.
Violence against women has been an issue from time began and most of it has been sexual. In some parts of the world,while man can just go out and enjoy, women has had to be careful. Women has been called all sorts of names from witches to prostitutes( Married to a Devil )http://chipmunkapublishing.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2172 ,

 and even in the 21st century a lot of crimes are still being commited agains women. Not only are these crimes commited against women by society and men, women have also joined the que of those who perpetrates violence against women.( Reference- A lost Youth by Abigal Muchecheti)

I said in the beginning often we bury our heads under the sand and pretend everything is OK when it is not. I am talking here about evil things that happens around us every day. We tend to focus on the good things and ignore the fact that bad things do actually happen. Writing will not be the same if it avoids what is happening around us. So as I always say I will focus mine on those without a voice and help raise awareness.

I mentioned in Married to a Devil,some of the issues that affects women and how the society can contribute in oppressing the innocent. It is the realization by those involved and those around them that tolerance of one another is the key to happiness that is important.

I would as I promised talk about sexual violence against women and my talk will not be complete if I don't mention Female genital mutilation which happens to be the focus of my second book called ''A Lost Youth''.  I was lucky to talk to people who went through this procedure and I know how it feels emotionally and psychologically. Some of those I spoke with are yet to recover from the evils of this practice.

Female genital mutilation (FGM) comprises all procedures that involve partial or total removal of the external female genitalia, or other injury to the female genital organs for non-medical reasons.

For those who do not know about it here are the key facts

  • Female genital mutilation (FGM) includes procedures that intentionally alter or cause injury to the female genital organs for non-medical reasons.

  • The procedure has no health benefits for girls and women.

  • Procedures can cause severe bleeding and problems urinating, and later cysts, infections, infertility as well as complications in childbirth increased risk of newborn deaths.

  • About 140 million girls and women worldwide are currently living with the consequences of FGM.

  • FGM is mostly carried out on young girls sometime between infancy and age 15.

  • In Africa an estimated 92 million girls 10 years old and above have undergone FGM.

  • FGM is a violation of the human rights of girls and women.

  • It would be wise to remember that those who went through this did not do it out of choice but out of those societal expectations that still exists in some communities.Most of it is done through coercion as these girls have no voice.

    My book ''A lost Youth'' explores some of the struggle within families as young girls struggle to survive after going through this barbaric procedure. I also had an interview with a woman who actually has been named the ''butcheress'' by some of her victim and she explains to me her take on DOING WHAT SHE DOES BEST- Mutilating young girls' sexual parts.

    I will be very humbled if we help each other in this and help spread the messages by supporting #FGM and #NoFGM. My call is both for the UK and the world at large. If we face these problems head on together we will make the world a better place to live in.

    Cynics might think this is a joke but one has to see the impacts of female genital mutilation on the victims. Life will never be the same.

    Lets put our heads together and fight this evil.Together we will do it.

    To be continued......

    No comments:

    Post a Comment