Wednesday 8 May 2013

A lost Youth and the Curse of Female Genital Mutilation



‘’I am 9 years old and I have just heard mummy talking to an elderly woman.’’ You have to take her now. We can’t wait any longer for her to be circumcised. She is ready.’’

At first I thought I was dreaming. My mother was going to have me circumcised. I was curious but scared. From what I had heard, it was a painful procedure. I was going to run away. She was circumcised I know but she was told to swear not to tell anybody. My sister didn’t disappoint. She didn’t even try to give me a clue as to what actually went on. I had asked her several times but all she had in response were her tears.  I had my suspicions, the long time she took in the toilet, the teary eyes afterward visiting the toilet and the withdrawal from all the things she used to enjoy said it all.  Something was not right. She was never the same after being genitally mutilated. With all that in mind I thought of myself and for once decided to take things into my own hands. I was not going to wait around and find out on the day. I was going to run away but where was I to go?’’ Sinha, before she was circumcised.

 To get more on the subject told through those who have actually gone through female genital mutilation, follow link for a book ‘’ A lost Youth’’,


 Be informed and help end the crime against women and girls

No comments:

Post a Comment